Wednesday, April 12, 2006

What Happened to Higher Standards?

In ten short years I have noticed a disturbing trend in Police recruiting. Due to an apparent lack of qualified candidates agencies are resorting to lowering their recruiting standards, some to rediculous levels. Ten years ago if you EVER used a hard drug such as COCAINE or HEROIN you could not be employed as an officer. Even Marijauna use was restricted to between five and seven years prior to application to be considered for employment. But today, as long as you are not CURRENTLY using Cocaine, Heroin, or other hard drugs and had your last toke on a joint before you submitted your application...YOU'RE HIRED!!!! Although each department sets its own standards, many are relaxing not only thier drug policies, but also their CRIMINAL ACTIVITY/HISTORY standards. No SERIOUS Felonies...You're Hired! No RECENT DUI arrests....You're Hired!

W.T.F.!!!!!
I'm sorry but I as a citizen MUST demand more of the person who is supposed to come to my aid. I do not want a convicted felon protecting my family. I do not want a "recreational" doper assigned to get the drug dealers out of my town. I do not want the guy who claims, "I can quit drinking any time I want to, I just drink to relax", driving on the same streets as my wife and children.
Finding and hiring a GOOD cop IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD!.....DUH! Not everyone can be an astronaut, or a surgeon, or even a mechanic. Certain careers need certain people with a particular gift, be it for astro-physics, anatomy and physiology, or even mechanical ability. A surgeon would make a lousy mechanic and the mechanic an even lousier surgeon. So what are these agencies thinking when they hire uninspired, financially motivated, wanna be a TV cop types and then complain about the retention rate (as they leave for better paying jobs), the lawsuits (as lawyers line up to file their VIOLATION OF CIVIL RIGHTS suits), the lost productivity ("cuz a needed a day off, man!), and the poor community support (your cops are a bunch of arrogant pr**ks).
Being a Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff, or Trooper is a specialized calling for a special type of person. We DO NOT expect to get rich, we DO NOT want the spotlight, we respect EVERYONE'S rights (even the bad guy's), and if our squad / unit / division needed help we'll come in on our only days off to help, we'll work the overtime, cover a holiday, help a partner, or do whatever else needs to be done to protect our community, our partners, and our friends. We serve in a way that our HONOR, DEDICATION, and COMMITMENT TO DUTY is evidenced by what we do every day.
I say, if you are working as an officer, currently in a training academy, or just thinking about a career in law enforcement and you do not agree with what I have said, do me a favor and find another career. Law enforcement is NOT for you! However, if you can make the commitment of your time, your abilities, and your heart I would be proud to have you as my zone partner.
As for the administration's mis-guided attempts to improve recruitment, it will only end up costing them much, much more later as they try to put more people on the street now. I hope you don't mind paying more taxes to cover their mistakes!?!?

No comments: